Saturday, September 6, 2014

Close to Her Heart

Close to Her Heart by C.J. Carmichael wasn't one of my favorite books. The premise is good, girl gets knocked up by her emotionally unavailable boyfriend, boyfriend doesn't want baby, relationship ends, and girl ends up falling for her best friend. Unfortunately the follow through on this book wasn't as good as it should have been. Both Dani and Eliot were too beta for my tastes and Dani couldn't make a decision to save her life. Dani was presented with a possibility that her baby would be born with Down syndrome, but instead of making any decisions regarding testing she buries her head in the sand and ignores the possibility. She also doesn't tell anyone about that possibility.  I found her lack of decision making annoying and she wavered too much on any decision. Eliot was no better. He wanted to be there for her as a friend and suddenly realized he was in love with her. Their relationship felt forced and I didn't feel it develop at all. Eliot is a divorce lawyer and there was a small subplot with a pair of his clients that actually interested me more than this story. I wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't get invested in the story or the characters. This book falls at about a 2.5 stars from me. I'm not going to write this author off because I see potential there, but not with this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment