Thursday, August 28, 2014

Marriage Reinvented

I loved this book and was pleasantly surprised at how hard it was to put down. I'd read a couple of books by Kat Cantrell in the past, but none have grabbed me so quickly and held me to the point where I didn't want to stop to do basic things such as eating or sleeping. The opening grabbed me in the first few lines and the next thing I knew I was hooked. This is the opening, "The offices of Outlaw Manufacturing, Inc. epitomized a two-page glossy ad for a soulless, spawn-of-the-devil corporation, missing only the devil himself. A hulking shadow slid across the frosted window beside the door marked President and CEO. Nope. He was in residence after all." The story is about Alexia and Jesse Hennessy, a couple who are divorced except for one thing...Alexia didn't file the paperwork. Jesse used the fact that they weren't divorced to his favor and held the patent Alexia wanted for something they created together hostage. His terms were she had to live with him for three months, go on a date with him once a week, and at the end of the three months he would walk away and Alexia would get to be the sole name on their patent. Both blame the other for the demise of their marriage, but both are to blame. There was an event that created a Before and After Jesse in Alexia's mind, so she tries to keep her heart from getting broken and just ride out the three months. What she doesn't count on is seeing more of Before Jesse than she anticipated. Jesse admits to himself that he still loves his wife and knows he has a long fight ahead of him to try and get her back. He goes into it very cocky that he can accomplish his goals quickly, but realizes fast that Alexia has built up more walls than he thought.
One of the reasons I found this book so captivating was there were curveballs thrown in. I'd think that the book was wrapping up and then something else would happen that kept the story going. I've had this happen in some stories and just wondered if the author had a page or word quota that they had to meet, but that wasn't the case here. The curveballs that were thrown always contributed to the story and kept me reading. This book deserves a 5 star rating and is one I will be revisiting again.

No comments:

Post a Comment